Thursday, June 24, 2010

Irrational Children

This past week has been a filled week Vacation Bible School and work. As a result my little ones have not had any mid day naps that they so rely on to recharge. One night as I was helping my oldest daughter,four years old, get ready for bed her exhaustion caught up with her. She began crying and became irrational. I was trying to work her though it and told her the step by step plan mama had laid out for her to brush her teeth, but it was all too much and she went into full meltdown mode.

This made me think of how God must feel when we come to Him in distress. We are no better than an irrational two year old (or in my case four year old). We go into melt down mode and can't follow God's simple plan He has laid out for us. Don't we realize how great God's power is? Can't we remember that He wants to bless us and reward us? Most often I would have to answer no. All He asks is that we believe in Him and his WORD. Ephesians 1:19-22 tells us "and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come."

So the next time I begin to feel myself entering my irrational child mode I charge myself to remember that God's power is great and active in me, the same power that He used to raise Christ from the dead" How then could I continue to have a meltdown. He's got it under control.

No comments: