Sunday, May 2, 2010

A day in the life...

Often when my husband gets home he'll ask me how my day was. I will usually smile and say great unless it was one of those days that every mom goes through. He will then ask what we did and I'll just shrug and say not much. Again when I speak with my mom on the phone she'll ask what we've been up to and she will get the same reply. Not that we don't do anything all day. It's simply the tasks we do everyday become so routine to me that they don't become big events that I feel we need to share. I've realized over the past month though that these small things are important its the everyday extraordinary that makes my life what it is. So here is a snapshot in a day in the life of my little family.

5:30 Alarm goes off and I nudge the husband until he hits snooze.
6:00 Tell the husband he better get up and shower or he'll be late.
6:30 Kiss the husband good bye and listen for any awake children. If any are awake get up and pour myself a cup of coffee that the husband has made (love him) and go get the awake child(ren). Some days decide to get up even if no child(ren) are awake to have some alone time while I read my bible or just sit in peace and drink the above mentioned coffee.
7:00 Start making breakfast for the crew, by now most of them are awake or waking up. 2 of the 3 are cranky wakers so stay away from them until they cheer up.
7:00- 9:00 Feed and dress the children and myself
9:00-11:00 Play with the kids, run errands, clean the house, pick a craft project to do. Of course, there are also diaper changes and filling of sippy cups referring fights and handing out of snacks.
11:00-12:00 Make and eat lunch. Hopefully it will be a nice warm day and we can play outside before nap time.
1:00-3:00 NAP TIME all three kids confined to bed [swing], this is Mama time. I can read, sleep scrapbook, clean, make calls, return emails and work in the garden. I make it a point to take 30 mins to do something for me. Not for the kids, house, ect. just some me time even if is a nap.
3:00-5:00 Big girls color and do workbooks (letters, numbers, shapes)little boy finds things he can destroy and get into. When he isn't trying to get a snuggle in with Mama. Play outside and pick up the house before daddy gets home.
5:00 Make diner and look forward to seeing the husband again.
5:30-6:00 Eat as a family, talk about our day and the fun things we did any events going on.
6:00-7:00 Books, books, and more books. Big girls each get to pick two books before bed Mama or Daddy picks one for the little boy and will try to read it to him with him destroying it. Nights I work I will get ready and leave during this time. It makes me happy to go to work, but I always feel bad that the little boy cries when he sees me dressed in scrubs.
7:30 BED TIME, depending on the child[ren] this will be a very easy or lengthy process. Potty trips, pj's and lots of kisses and prayers. Pluggy for the little boy and the house is silent.
7:30-8:00 Pick up the toys in the hall so we don't step on them in the dark and break out necks.
8:00-10ish Spend time with the husband then go to SLEEP. Hopefully everyone will sleep through the night without incident.

These are my days. I love them. We throw in playdates and park trips, church and family adventures. I am blessed to be able to stay home with my family while my children are young and still think I am the coolest person in the world. The husband
knows I am the coolest person in the world so it all works out.

No comments: